Thursday, January 25, 2007

No stunt doubles used by any actor including Amitabh Bachchan, Jackie Shroff & Boman Irani

With every actor in Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s action packed Eklavya insisting on doing their own stunts, there were many thrilling and exhilarating moments during the shoot of the contemporary action drama in Rajasthan.

For Amitabh ‘Eklavya’ Bachchan especially, it was an exciting schedule with nail biting scenes being filmed on him. Inspite of Mr. Bachchan’s known fear of fire (he had suffered severe burns on his right hand in an accident in the past), he insisted on doing a risky scarf burning scene even though Vinod suggested using a stunt double.

During an action sequence, Mr. Bachchan ended up nearly getting stamped by a camel. In typical style, he makes light of it and says matter of factly: “When you are doing an action scene, you obviously know action sequences are action sequences, and it can go wrong. They are manufactured sequences; it’s not like its on real time. And when you manufacture some things, the balance, the timing can go wrong. The camel decided to kick me in the head. These things happen… Actually, I should thank Vinod for giving me the costume, because the turban saved me!”

Apart from Mr. Bachchan, other actors too weren’t spared as they insisted on doing their own stunts. Boman Irani ended up getting nearly hit by a bullet and Jackie Shroff almost missed being hit by a moving train while doing his action sequence….

Speaking about his action sequence, Boman Irani says, “You know there is shot of me sitting in the car and the bullet goes past my ear and through the back screen of the car. Mr.Tinu Verma decides to fire a live bullet into the back screen and he is sitting right there between my legs with a gun, pointed and says “Thoda darne ka acting karo”. I'm like Tinuji don’t worry mein dara hi hu, I'm really scared and so the performance will come. Tinnu Verma shoots and the bullet went past my ear and hits the back screen of the old vintage car. Tinnuji was supposed to hit the center but it goes two inches high and hits the metal frame. And I dread to think what if it hit the frame, and rebound and hit my ears. But I swear I'll never do that again. I swear I'll never do it again”.

With so many gripping incidents taking place while shooting, the film itself promises to showcase many more thrilling visuals for the audiences to enjoy.

Eklavya – The Royal Guard, a film by Vidhu Vinod Chopra is slated for release on 16th February 2007. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Saif Ali Khan, Vidya Balan, Jackie Shroff, Boman Irani, Jimmy Sheirgill, Raima Sen and Sharmila Tagore.

No comments: