Monday, February 12, 2007

Article In Hindu - Feb 10th,2007

`I hate to be preachy'
Back as a director after seven years, Vidhu Vinod Chopra talks to SANGEETHA DEVI. K about his film and gifting Amitabh Bachchan a silver Rolls Royce Phantom
WORRY FREE Chopra on the sets of `Eklavya' with Sanjay Dutt and Amitabh Bachchan
Spearheading films that are both critically acclaimed and commercially successful has become a habit for Vidhu Vinod Chopra. He broke free from the clutter and directed memorable films like Parinda, 1942 A Love Story and Mission Kashmir. He stepped aside, only to become a full-fledged producer. Munna Bhai MBBS, Parineeta and Lage Raho Munna Bhai followed.
Regal splendour
Eklavya - the royal guard, which he has directed seven years after Mission Kashmir, is up for release. Having given a string of hits, Chopra isn't worried about expectations. "As a student, when I topped the university for the first time, I was aware that each time I appear for exams my parents and friends would have expectations from me. But I wasn't the kind of person who'd get bogged down; I enjoyed the process. This is what I do even today," he says.
Eklavya tells the story of the royal guard, Amitabh Bachchan, who protects the royal family and fiercely guards its secrets. The obvious question is what took Chopra so long to direct Eklavya. "I started writing the film soon after Mission Kashmir. When I write, I like to focus only on that script. But Parineeta, Munnabhai MBBS and Lage Raho Munna Bhai were produced in the meantime. I co-wrote those films as well, so I didn't want to do a rush job with Eklavya. It took me five years for me to get the script ready and then begin shooting," he explains. "One reasons why it took time was because I wanted to make the film entertaining rather than preachy though it talks about values that have gone missing today. The Munna Bhai films succeeded because we didn't get preachy. I hate to be preachy."
The film, which Chopra describes as a "contemporary dramatic thriller," stars Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Jimmy Shergill, Raima Sen, Vidya Balan, Boman Irani, Jackie Shroff and Sharmila Tagore, most of whom have worked with Chopra earlier. "When you see the film you'll know that each one has a definite role to play. I have a simple way of working: I work with actors who like to work with me. All these actors are committed, disciplined and are good human beings. I feel comfortable working with them."
Shot extensively in Jaipur, Devigarh and other areas of Rajasthan, the film is also being noticed for the looks sported by the star cast. But Chopra doesn't belong to the clan of film-makers that harps on making their films a case study in designer dreams. "The script is my Bible and the look of each actor has to be dictated by it. I wouldn't trade the importance of the script for designer looks. Having said that, I must add that Raghavendra Rathore has done some good designing for us."
An enviable ensemble star cast, great music and a promotional book with breathtaking photographs have got Eklavya its initial publicity. Add to that some kudos coming from Ralph Fiennes and the news of Chopra gifting Bachchan a silver Rolls Royce Phantom. "Ralph Fiennes saw the film, was touched by Amitabh Bachchan's performance and stood up and clapped," recollects Chopra. On gifting Big B the dream machine, he quips, "See the film and you'll realise what a wonderful job he's done. If you had the money, even you would get him such a gift!"
When Eklavya opens on the big screens, watch out for the promos of Chopra's next productions - Munna Bhai Chale Amerika and Talisman. By mid 2008, Chopra plans to revive his English film, 64 Squares, that will have an international star cast.

1 comment:

Sheel Shah said...

I really look forward to watching this incredible film.